Señorita Panda’s Paleo Chicken Soup
You’ll never want your traditional (aka BORING) chicken soup after you have this hearty and zesty Mexican style chicken soup that is jam packed with flavor and nutrients. The non-paleo version of the recipe also calls for 1 cup of fresh sweet corn and 2 cups of brown rice to give this soup even more texture. The best part about flu season is being able to make big batches of this soup to soothe the soul and warm my appetite.
Try serving wrapped in my paleo tortillas used in this recipe!
- 2 large chicken breasts (bone-in)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red onion
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp basil
- juice from 2 limes
- avocados and cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 45 to 60 minutes (or cook in crock pot on low for 4 to 6 hours).
- Shred chicken with a fork and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, red onion, carrots, celery, cilantro, green bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño peppers to a large pot.
- Pour in chicken broth, ensuring that all of the ingredients are covered.
- Add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin and basil.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve soup in bowls and squeeze a lime wedge over the soup.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro and half a diced avocado on top and enjoy!