Paleo Caramel Apple Pecan Bars
Here’s an amazing recipe for you as you all head to your Fourth of July parties or are prepping some healthy yet delicious snacks to serve your guests at your own holiday party. These paleo caramel apple pecan bars are sure to be a sticky sweet hit…no one will even know they’re paleo!
I wasn’t sure how the caramel would turn out since there’s NO processed sugar in the recipe (and that’s what caramel is typically made with) so imagine my ecstasy when a golden thick and sinfully delicious sauce started forming in my saucepan. It looks, smells and tastes exactly like caramel! I definitely did my happy dance!
I made these for a Fourth of July party I am heading to today…I’ll let you know how they turn out! Happy Fourth of July everyone!
God bless America for paleo caramel apple bars 🙂
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup maple syrup (or 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped apples, peeled
- 2 cups pecans (additional 1/2 cup for topping with 1/2 cup walnuts)
- 1 3/4 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Mix the coconut milk, coconut oil, salt, water and vanilla together in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer for approximately 30 minutes, whisking occasionally in the beginning then with more frequency as it thickens until you are whisking constantly and the desired thickness is reached (until sauce slightly covers back of a spoon).
- Let caramel sauce cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place pecans in a food processor and blend.
- Combine processed pecans, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add in egg and mix together.
- Fold in chopped apples and spoon batter into slightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts with 1 cup of caramel sauce and spread evenly over the bars.
- Broil for 2 minutes until topping is bubbling.
- Cool, cut and serve!
Fourth of July Birthday in Hermosa Beach | The Paleo PandaJuly 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM
[…] few other highlights from the day (besides my paleo caramel apple pecan bars and Rachael’s tequila infused watermelon […]